The Morrison Site: Evidence for Terminal Late Woodland Mound Construction in the American Bottom
Investigations at the Morrison (11MS1548) site during the 1990s revealed a previously unknown mound center dating to the early Edelhardt phase of the Terminal Late Woodland period (ca. A.D. 1000–1030). Located only 3 km from Monks Mound, the site is significant because it provides evidence suggesting mound and plaza construction occurred immediately preceding the rise of Cahokia as a sociopolitical and religious center. Excavations in 1994 confirmed the presence of one rectangular platform mound and a related residential occupation in close proximity. A hint of a later Lohmann phase (A.D. 1050–1100) revisit to the site, perhaps for commemorative purposes, is suggested by the presence of a white-on-red seed jar fragment.
Center for Archaeological Research
Betzenhauser, Alleen, Timothy R. Pauketat, Elizabeth Watts Malouchos, Neal H. Lopinot, and Daniel Marovitch. "The Morrison Site: Evidence for Terminal Late Woodland Mound Construction in the American Bottom." Illinois Archaeology: Journal of the Illinois Archaeology Survey 27 (2015).